Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I found this old Penguin UK edition of Lord of the Flies not too long ago and decided to pick it up. I haven't read it since I was in high school but I remember it as a powerful allegory on human nature, and I kind of want to read it again to see how it holds up in my mind. Interestingly enough, it seems that the book was a bit of a flop upon initial publication and actually went out of print for awhile, until it went on to become a bestseller in the early 60s, required reading for just about every high-schooler for decades to come.

I almost typed "Penguin Classics" in the previous paragraph but realized that at the time this book was printed it was a fairly new book--not yet a Classic. Kind of weird to read his bio on the back of the book as if he were a contemporary writer, still alive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment