Monday, March 22, 2010

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

I read about 200 pages of this book before it occurred to me that I had no idea what was going on. So I started over, making sure to concentrate a little more--sometimes reading on the train can be distracting--and I loved it. I can't claim to have followed every single one of the many subplots and digressions, but overall I thought it was hilarious and brilliant. Pynchon is the best at naming his characters: Tyrone Slothrup, Ronald Cherrycoke, Tantivy Mucker-Maffick, and about 400 more. Definitely one to re-read some day.


This edition is another one of Penguin's "Deluxe Classics," with cover art drawn by Frank Miller. (the above is one of the flaps). It's not my favorite overall design in the series but I do like the front cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment