Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

After Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (and who doesn't start with that one), this is the first novel by Philip K. Dick that I read. I think I picked it at random because I liked the title. The book takes place in an alternate, dystopian 1988 (the future at the time of writing), in which a pop star loses his identity overnight: his friends and lovers don't remember him and no one has ever heard of his music or TV show. It is as if he's never existed. The world has become a police state after the "Second Civil War," and everyone must carry ID cards or be sent into a forced labor camp.

This is one of Dick's better novels, though not my favorite that I've read (that would probably be
Ubik). I've gotta say though, I really wish they'd repackage his entire line. They could do so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment