Monday, December 14, 2009

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

This is actually an advance reading copy of Steve Martin's autobiography, which I found on a shelf at work, oddly enough, though I don't work for the company that published it. I was pretty excited to find it though, as I love Steve Martin's earlier work--you can't go wrong with The Jerk--which is what this book focuses on: his formative years, how he got into stand-up, and his first experiences with fame. I was a little disappointed with it though. He keeps much of his private life private, choosing not to reveal some personal details; at the same time, it's not like I was hoping for some sort of juicy tell-all. Still, there was something missing from the book, and I can't really say what that is. It wasn't necessarily a bad read--just not of the caliber I was hoping for.

There are some pretty great photos throughout the book though.

No comments:

Post a Comment