Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Devil in Paradise by Henry Miller

This short book tells the story of a houseguest at Miller's home in Big Sur who has long outworn his welcome. It has the most conventional narrative of Miller's books that I've read, but is enormously entertaining. I like how someone has colored in some of the letters on this cover.

Originally published in one slender volume like this, A Devil in Paradise was later published as part of Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymous Bosch. I've never read the latter book, but I might just have to now, especially after having visited the Henry Miller Memorial Library while driving through Big Sur--possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen (I mean Big Sur, not the library, though the library is a nice place to stop for a coffee and a book)--a couple of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment