Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ghost Houses by Nigel Peake

I picked up this book at one of my favorite stores, Spoonbill and Sugartown, without really knowing much about it. All I knew was that I liked the premise, and the drawings contained within.

The book is by Nigel Peake, an architecture student from Northern Ireland. His background is definitely reflected in the, well, architectural style of his drawings.

"The drawings included in this book were drawn in June and July and collated in December. They are intended as records of lost buildings and constructions - inspired by a collection of photographs (some of which appear int his book) found in a secondhand store in Philadelphia. The lady who sold them to me said they were 'instant relatives.' It has been a joy to draw and dwell on these structures and to remember the empty houses that line the country roads and the edges of prospering towns." (From the last page of the book)

I love the watercolor stripes. I don't know why but they seem to perfectly complement the buildings.

And there's something so intriguing about old, dilapidated, crumbling buildings, long forgotten--ghost houses, if you will.

After perusing Nigel Peake's website, I've found that he has a number of other books for sale, as well as prints, zines, and the like. I may very well have to purchase a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment